Friday, December 30, 2011

December has been so lonely.

I became an orphan at the age of 51 on December 16, 2011.  Surrounded by family, my beautiful mom passed away while I held her hand.  As I heard the blips of the heart monitor slow down, I knew my life would change forever as a part of me died that day, too.  I have never known a stronger or more compassionate person, and I don't think I ever will.

I am already starting to forget how her voice sounds.  If only the phone would ring . . . . I decided I needed to start writing about her every day so I don't forget the times we shared.  For the most part, I have no regrets about our relationship, although I do struggle with the things I cannot change, viewed through the lens of hindsight.

Yesterday, I had to go to the lawyer's office to sign some more papers (does this ever end?), and on the way home, I got hungry.  I hadn't eaten much that day, if any.  Probably more like I had five cups of coffee and that was it.  Rifling through my purse for some gum, I saw the Bruster's free single-scoop ice-cream cone card that I'd been carrying around for about a year.  Why not?  So unlike me, I pulled into Bruster's and thought about how both my mom and I love ice cream.  I didn't even stop to look at the no-added sugar or sugar-free choices.  I felt like I deserved the "real deal" to make me feel better, and I chuckled when I thought my mom would say, "Get it." Surveying the "real deal" choices, I chose White Turtle, which was vanilla ice cream with swirls of caramel and salted pecans.  

"I'll take a single-scoop of White Turtle in a sugar cone," I told the voice who wanted to know how she could help me.  How many calories would this "real deal" have?  At that moment, I didn't care.  Life is fleeting, life is temporary, and life is to be lived every moment with no hesitations.

I pulled around to the window, the window opened up, and I could hear Tim McGraw's voice as he sang "Live Like You Were Dying."  My mom was telling me to "get it" as the girl handed me the single-scoop White Turtle sugar cone.  I smiled.

1 comment: